Sunday, April 9, 2006

Concert Review - Guster @ Xavier University

Saturday, April 8, 2006 @ 9PM - Cintas Center

So, I traveled to Cincinnati over the weekend to see one my favorite bands, Guster, in concert. Cincinnati is about 340 miles from my house. Why is this relevant? Because 2 nights before, they played my alma mater, Michigan State University, which is about 7 miles from my house. Yes, I was aware of the show and considered going, but in the end I thought a road trip would be good for me. I haven’t been out of town since I was in Cincinnati at the end of February for the Nine Inch Nails show at US Bank Arena.

It isn’t very often at all that a band plays a set list of all your favorite songs, but that’s what happened last night. Other than not playing “Careful”, I can’t think of any other songs I would have preferred over the ones they played. The set featured a broad and even mix of material from the last three albums, as well as some tracks from the new album, "Ganging Up On The Sun", set to be released on June 20.

Of course, for me, the highlight was a long and powerful version of my favorite Guster song, “Come Downstairs and Say Hello”.

Again, it was like they were playing my own personal “Guster Greatest Hits” album, but some other highlights included:

From Keep It Together: “Diane”, “Amsterdam”

From Goldfly: “Great Escape”, “Demons”

From Lost & Gone Forever: “I Spy”, “Center of Attention”, “Happier”

From Ganging Up On The Sun: “Manifest Destiny”, “One Man Wrecking Machine”

Visit the “Archives” section of the Guster website for a complete set list.

I was also very impressed with Andrew Bird, who opened the show. He played solo, and used a sampling pedal for violin overdubs and minimal percussion while he sang and played violin, guitar, and even a glockenspiel. Click here to hear the entire Mysterious Production of Eggs album in high quality streaming audio.

Guster brings an incredible energy to the stage, and the songs are fresh and updated - not just a replay as you hear them on the records. It’s evident that they love what they do, and for that, the audience loves them back. If Guster passes through your neighborhood, or even within 340 miles, do yourself a favor and buy a ticket.

I’m out-
KWass

P.S. A special thank you to the jackass who played “Dogs” by Pink Floyd, all 17 miserable minutes of it, on the jukebox at Soupies Bar. Ah, Soupies - that place is a story all by itself. I don’t want to bag on anyone, but damn.

No comments: