Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cubicle Tunes - Week of February 16, 2010

Today marks the first installment of Cubicle Tunes since June 17, 2008.

The way I figure it, if I’m back on the bike, then I need to be back on the keyboard as well.

Writing is enjoyable and somewhat cathartic for me, and I can’t fathom how or why I have only written about my greatest passion – music – twice in the last 20+ months (those writings being the annual best music collection liner notes).

Here’s a quick refresher. I spend a lot of time in a cubicle, and during those hours, my iPod fills the dull silence with aural pleasantries. How do you think I compile the annual best music collection? That research goes on all year long, and I make notes of lyrics that catch my ear or songs that stand out for whatever reason.

These are the albums that will grace the triumphant return of my musical musings.

Ellis Paul – The Day After Everything Changed (2010)

Paul returns to contemporary folk form after the children-themed album “The Dragonfly Races” of 2007. This album is a markedly different offering and features Paul in more uptempo full band arrangements. A lot of people hate it when an artist breaks their mould, but I appreciate the evolution of an artist. Favorites here include the title track, “Lights of Vegas”, and the opener, “Annalee”.

Patty Griffin – Downtown Church (2010)

Recorded in a church in downtown Nashville (hence the title – duh), the album is a collection of gospel inspired songs, only 2 of which were written by Griffin herself. Admittedly, I wasn’t excited at the prospect of a gospel album, but when the opening lyrics were “People steal, they cheat and lie”, well, we here at Vox Acerbus were right on board. Favorites include “Little Fire”, “Coming Home to Me”, and “Waiting for My Child”. Griffin’s voice dominates this record, and trust me – that’s a good thing.

The Swell Season – Strict Joy (2009)

The Swell Season is none other than Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, the duo who starred in and recorded the gorgeous soundtrack for the movie “Once” back in 2006. This album branches out a little further, featuring some mid-tempo numbers and some bigger instrumentation, but the underlying beauty remains. The deluxe edition features 14 live tracks from various albums, and the live version of the Oscar-nominated “Falling Slowly” will burn itself into your soul.

Owl City – Ocean Eyes (2009)

Although I have gravitated into the singer-songwriter genre over the last several years, I am still a big fan of synth based music, and simply stated, I love this record. I first heard “Fireflies” on Radio Disney (XM 115) of all places, and have been transfixed by it ever since. Favorites include “Vanilla Twilight” and “Tidal Wave”. It’s a rare occurrence when such a mainstream record makes this forum, so savor the flavor, because it may not happen again for a long time.

10,000 Maniacs – Our Time in Eden (1992)

This was the last studio album to feature vocalist Natalie Merchant, and that’s a damn shame. Merchant and the band both continued on, and for Merchant, with some degree of success, but this was the apex for both of them. “Jezebel” is on my all-time favorites list, and other highlights include “If You Intend” and “How You’ve Grown”. To hear how completely talented and flawless this band really was, I highly endorse the “MTV Unplugged” live set from 1993.

I'm out-
KWass

1 comment:

Ralph Jaccodine said...

As someone who’s written wonderful words about the great music coming from singer songwriter Ellis Paul – first I’d like to tell you thank you. I’ve been Ellis Paul's friend and manager since 1992 and his music, words and friendship are jewels in my life. Upon examining the state of the music industry, Ellis and I have realized that far and away the most important connections that we have are not at all on the business side of the equation – it’s the people that love Ellis’ music. They’re more important than the biggest retailer or the most powerful radio station - so we’re starting a campaign to empower the people. Ellis’ new album “The Day After Everything Changed” was completely funded by his fans and is one of the finest he’s ever recorded. Many of Ellis' fans and folks passionate about great songwriting don’t even know that it’s been released. So if you’d like to help support a truly independent artist – here’s how. The lead single track on TDAEC is “Annalee”, and if you go to www.ellispaul.com/free you can download “Annalee” for free. Unlike so many other free song offers – you don’t have to give us your email, sign up or register for anything at all. It’s free for the taking. The small favor we would ask? Please share it with any and all of your friends that would enjoy Ellis’ music. This would help our efforts and help spread the music. This truly is a campaign about the power of the people in the support of independent music and artists.

Please stay in touch.

And thank you.

Ralph Jaccodine, Manager