Monday, February 22, 2010

Cubicle Tunes - Week of February 23, 2010

2010 is already shaping up to be a pretty great year for music. It's not even March, and I already have 5 or 6 legitimate contenders for the Vox Acerbus Best Music of 2010. That doesn't even take into account the multiple releases I have spotted on the horizon. It could be the first multi-volume offering since 2006.

Dig these:

Vampire Weekend - Contra (2010)

I didn't give their self-titled debut much of a listen, but I become a huge fan after the inclusion of "Ottoman" on the soundtrack for the movie Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. Funny how one song can make you a believer. My runaway favorites here are "Taxi Cab", which features a very unique string arrangement and a constant melodic line trickling from the piano, and "Run", which unlike the other tracks, is driven by intricate synth programming.

Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back (2010)

80's and world music icon Peter Gabriel returns with a collection of covers in a very unique way. The complete lack of drums and guitars creates ethereal arrangements of piano and orchestra, and turns some formerly bright pop songs into darker excursions. Gabriel covers acts such as Neil Young, Talking Heads, David Bowie and Arcade Fire among others, but the standouts here are Paul Simon's "Boy in the Bubble" and Bon Iver's "Flume". This one is best reserved for some dedicated, uninterrupted listening.

Shout Out Louds - Work (2010)

The Swedish group Shout Out Louds were featured in the Vox Acerbus Best of 2007 with a bouncy number called "Your Parents Living Room", full of energy and sound and a Cure/Robert Smith-ish vocal delivery. Three years later, this record is much more subdued and stripped down, allowing the pop essence of the band to come through with songs of longing, sadness, and nostalgia. My favorites are "Four by Four" and "Play the Game", but the album is solid throughout.

Editors - In This Light and On This Evening (2009)

I was drawn to this record by the name alone, and it quickly ascended in the play count of my iPod. Even though the album is full of sweeping synth programming, it maintains a very raw quality. The goal in the studio was "to give the machines a human feel", and by not polishing every song into submission, they've done just that. My favorites include "Papillon" (included on the Vox Acerbus Best of 2009), "Bricks and Mortar", and "The Boxer". This album was a complete and radical departure from the sound of the previous album "An End Has A Start", which reached number one in England. For lack of a more elegant way to say it, that takes huge balls.

We Were Promised Jetpacks - These Four Walls (2009)

I didn't find out about this Scottish band until my brother turned me onto them very late last year, or else they would have been represented on my annual collection. They have a very intense, emotional quality to them, and aren't afraid to let their songs build and maybe even go a step too far, because face it - sometimes emotions do that despite our best intentions. I like to think of them as similar to Snow Patrol, but more like Snow Patrol getting punched in the face so they are right and pissed off. My favorites are the opener, "It's Thunder and It's Lightning", "Conductor", the epic "Keeping Warm", and "Moving Clocks Run Slow".

I'm out-
KWass

No comments: